John Fowlke II, and Harriett Raynor

Home Fowlke Children Life History John Fowlke, I Fowlke Name Fowlke Photos Name Locator Guest Book Contact Us

Taken from:   Conquerors of the West: Stalwart Mormon Pioneers, volume 2

Name: John Fowlke
Birth Date: 26 Dec 1803
Birth Place: Nottingham, Nottingham, England
Parents: John and Hannah Mee (May) Fowlke
Death Date: 09 Mar 1886
Death Place: Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah
Arrival: 15 Sep 1861, Ira Eldredgee Co.
Spouse: Harriet Raynor
Marriage Date: abt 1823
Marriage Place: Nottingham, Nottingham, England
Spouse's Parents: Samuel and Catherine Frost Raynor
Spouse's Birth Date: 10 Sep 1803
Spouse's Birth Place: Nottingham, Nottingham, England
Spouse's Death Date: 13 Sep 1888
Spouse's Death Place: Mt Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah

John and his family joined the Church in England and then sailed for America. Two of the children died in England. It is not certain if the first two children came, as they may have remained in England. They brought at least seven children with them. William Marrott , who married Louisa, had returned from Salt Lake to help this company cross the plains. Their marriage occurred after their arrival in Pleasant Grove. John made a home for them in Lindon, where they remained active in the church. He supported his family as a machinist and engineer. He died at the age of 82. His wife lived with their daughter in Mt. Pleasant until her death two years later.

Children: Catherine Elizabeth , b. 24 Sep 1824 , Nottingham, England . Md. Thomas Windell . D. 1912 . John Jr., b. 20 Apr 1826 , Nottingham, England . Md. Susannah Bonner . D. Apr 1901 . Harriet , b. 20 Sep 1828 , Nottingham, England . D. 25 Mar 1842 . Drucilla , b. 22 Dec 1830 , Nottingham, England . Md. 22 Jun 1856 , William Aston . D. 28 Jan 1877 . Eliza , b. 20 Apr 1832 , Nottingham, England . Md. 5 Jan 1852 , Elias Aston . D. 31 Jan 1917 . Emma , b. 4 Aug 1836 , Nottingham, England . D. 10 Aug 1838/9 . William , b. 11 Nov 1837 , Nottingham, England . Md. 25 Mar 1860 , Rachel Chapman . D. Louisa , b. 26 May 1840 , Nottingham, England . Md. 1st, 9 Feb 1862 , William Marrott . Md. 2nd, 8 Feb 1901 , Lorenzo Waldram . D. 29 Jan 1913 . Frederick , b. 21 Jul 1842 , Nottingham, England . Md. 17 Nov 1866 , Elizabeth Cook . D. 8 Apr 1905 . Sarah Ann , b. 14 Feb 1844 , Nottingham, England . Md. 22 Feb 1862 , John Truscott . D. 20 Aug 1919 . Clara , b. 28 Dec 1847 , Nottingham, England . Md. 10 Feb 1864 , James Cullimore . D. 13 Nov 1927 . Ray Marrott



The following information was taken from Alice Boyd's web page.  Alice has done a wonderful job detailing the Fowlkes--visit her many pages.


John Fowlke was born 26 December 1803, in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England. He was the son of John Fowlke and Hannah Mee. He married Harriet Raynor in 1823 in Nottingham. Harriet Raynor was born in Nottingham on 10 September 1803, the daughter of Catherine Frost Raynor.
Eleven children were born to John and Harriet in Nottingham: Catherine, John, Harriet, Drucilla, Eliza, Emma, William, Louisa, Frederick, Sarah, and Clara. Harriet and Emma died before becoming adults.
The Latter-Day Saint missionaries contacted the family. John and Harriet, and five of their children embraced the gospel. Louisa was the first to be baptized in 1854. She was only fourteen years old at the time. Her father John was baptized in 1855. It is not known when Harriet was baptized. Of the other children, Eliza and her husband, Elias Aston, were baptized in 1856; Frederick, Sarah, and Clara were also baptized. Like thousands of other British converts, the family was "waiting for the missionaries to find them, and when they heard the message, they believed, were baptized, told their friends, adored and cared for those who had brought the message. and prepared to leave the Babylon of the world for the kingdom of God being built in America...Beside being willing to accept the missionaries' testimonies about the restoration of the original Church of Christ spoken of in the Bible, these British Saints also obeyed the counsel to gather to Zion. Before the end of the century, some fifty-five thousand had crossed the ocean and the continental U.S. to make their homes in the West. Not all were enthusiastic to come, but most, perhaps the most converted, scrimped and saved until they had enough to pay passage for a family." ("Truth Prevailing"; Douglas F. Tobler; Ensign, July 1987) 
To aid the immigrants in their desire to join the Saints in Zion, the Church in 1849 created the Perpetual Emigration Fund. The fund helped the costs of the trip, but the family was expected to reimburse the fund after settling in Utah. John and Harriet, and the younger children immigrated to America on the ship Underwriter. The European Emigration Card Index shows: 
Foulkes, John     (57)   Turner               Harriet (57)    Wife               Frederick (18) Joiner               Sarah Ann (15)Spinster               Clara    (13)               Louise  (20)               Arthur* (2)   *Louise's son 
The ship sailed from Liverpool on April 23, 1861. On board ship "the agent appointed a president and two counselors (usually missionaries returning to America) to preside over the company. After receiving the sustaining vote of the group, the presidency divided the company into wards or branches, usually along the lines of the travelers's home districts. Each ward or branch was then provided with presiding officers and assigned a separate portion of the ship...Once underway, the emigrants were expected to rise at an early hour, clean their quarters, assemble for prayer, and then eat breakfast. Contemporary observers were impressed by the prevailing order, cleanliness, and decency aboard Mormon ships. Charles Dickens described the Mormon emigrants in a chapter of The Uncommon Traveler:
"They had not been a couple of hours on board when they established their own police, made their own regulations, and set their own watches at all the hatchways. Before nine o'clock the ship was as orderly and quiet as a man-of-war...there was no disorder, hurry, or difficulty...I afterwards learned that a Despatch was sent home by the captain, before he struck out into the wide Atlantic, highly extolling the behavior of these Emigrants and the perfect order and propriety of all their social arrangements."
Converts often arrived on the American frontier with only a short time to prepare for the trek to Utah...To economize, emigrants were expected to purchase cotton fabric for the wagon covers in England and stitch it during the voyage." (The Mormon Experience; Leonard J. Arrington). The Fowlkes's ship took six weeks to cross the ocean. Another passenger on the Underwriter, Charles W. Penrose awoke one morning to find that a mother rat had given birth in his shoe during the night. (Life on Board a Mormon Emigrant Ship; David H. Pratt and Paul F. Smart). Sometimes the ship made no progress because of the lack of wind to fill the sails.. They rejoiced when they arrived in New York on May 22.
From the Millennial Star: “The clipper ship Underwriter cleared on the 22nd instant, and sailed on the evening of the 23rd, from this port for New York, having 624 Saints on board, under the presidency of Elder Milo Andrus, assisted by Elders Homer Duncan and C.W. Penrose as counselors. Presidents Lyman, Rich, and Cannon visited the ship on Sunday, the 21st, as she lay in the river, and held a meeting, giving the Saints their parting blessing and many choice instructions relative to their journey. The unanimity and good feeling which pervaded the deliverance having arrived, tended to make a fine and intelligent looking company double interesting; and we have no doubt that, under the wise direction of President Andrus their ocean trip will prove both agreeable and instructive. May God bless them in their journeyings onwards to the home of the Saints in the valley of the mountains!” (Millennial Star, May 4, 1861)
“The clipper ship Underwriter sailed from Liverpool, with 624 Saints, under the presidency of Milo Andrus, Homer Duncan and Charles William Penrose. The company arrived at New York May 22nd, and at Florence (Nebraska) June 2nd.” (Millennial Star, Apr 23, 1861)
The family then proceeded to the outfitting station at Council Bluffs, Iowa. At the outfitting station the immigrants were provided with "one wagon, two yoke of oxen, two cows, and a tent." (The Mormon Experience; Arrington). The Journal History of the Church shows "John Foulke and family" joined Capt. Ira Eldredge's ox train to travel over the plains to Salt Lake City. (Journal History, Sept. 15, 1861). The Fowlkes family was unaccustomed to the hardships and way of life that lay before them. They were city people and used to city life. They cared for and drove an ox team across the plains. The family walked alongside the wagon most of the 1500 miles. When at Florence, Nebraska, the Saints suffered much from the severe rain and thunder storms. They arrived at Salt Lake City on 15 September 1861.
It was with relief and joy that the family found that "whether they arrived by wagon, handcart, or railroad, the immigrants were greeted warmly in Utah...The already established Saints were under instructions to take the new arrivals into their homes, care for them, and provide employment until they could begin to farm or practice their own occupations. The sense of gathering was confirmed by the food and festivities that welcomed immigrants in Emigration Square. Soon afterward they dispersed to the colonies scattered throughout the Great Basin. The dispersal began with a "placement meeting" attended by all local bishops. Each was asked how many families could be absorbed into his ward for the winter and what special skill were desirable." (The Mormon Experience; Arrington). 
  John Fowlke's skills as a machinist and engineer were needed in Zion. Leonard Arrington in The Mormon Experience tells us, "Suffused with a desire to promote economic independence, the church became involved in nearly every important industrial development during the first two decades of settlement...Most American-born Mormons were lifelong farmers possessing few industrial skills. Foreign converts, on the other hand, tended to be craftsmen and mechanics, reflecting in the variety of their skills the higher stage of industrialization Europe had achieved. Quick to recognize the importance of this expertise to his dream of building an independent commonwealth, Brigham Young instructed church agents and missionaries in Great Britain to seek out skilled workers, especially iron manufacturers, metal workers, textile manufacturers, and potters. Such persons were to be encourage to "emigrate preference to anyone else." Each of the major industrial enterprises attempted by the church during the first decade drew upon European converts for technical expertise." 
  The family settled in Pleasant Grove in 1861. It was a peaceful farming community in the Utah Valley, founded in 1850, with groves of cottonwood trees, and sparkling streams of fresh water. It appears that John married a plural wife, Elizabeth Carlin in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City on 8 July 1865.

In the 1870 census of Pleasant Grove, John and Harriet are found living next to their son Frederick and his family, along with Elizabeth Fowlke, age 57. 

In the 1880 census of Pleasant Grove, John and Harriet Fowlke are shown living in Pleasant Grove next to their son, Frederick and his family, and their daughter Clara, now married to James Cullimore. Elizabeth is shown as a boarder and is using her maiden name.


James and Clara’s daughter, Elizabeth, remembers that when just a small girl she loved to go to her grandmother’s house and wash off all the chairs with a rag. Daughter Eliza and her husband Elias Aston were near neighbors. John worked as a machinist and engineer, and a farmer. John and Harriet, like other British Saints, "most of whom gained no fame except that chiseled into the lives of a grateful and expanding posterity, became part of the bedrock of the growing kingdom." (The Mormon Experience; Arrington). John was active in the priesthood, and was ordained a High Priest. His photograph in Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah shows a man of determination and courage. The description which accompanies the photo states: 

  "FOWLKE, JOHN (son of John Fowlke and Anna May, both of Nottingham, Eng.). Born Dec. 26, 1803. Came to Utah Sept. 17, 1861, Horace S. Eldredge company. 
  Married Harriet Raynor about 1823 at Nottingham, Eng. (daughter of Mr. Raynor and Catherine Frost, of Nottingham, pioneers Sept. 17, 1861, Horace S. Eldredge company). Their children: Catherine Elizabeth b. Sept. 24, 1824, m. Thomas Windle; John b. April 20, 1826, m. Susannah Bonner; Harriet b. Sept. 20, 1828, died; Drucilla b. Dec. 22, 1830, m. William Aston; Eliza b. April 20, 1832, m. Elias Aston; Emma b. Aug. 4, 1836, died; William b. Nov. 11, 1837; Lueza b. May 26, 1840, m. William Marrott; Frederick b. July 21, 1842, m. Elizabeth Cook; Sarah Ann b. Feb. 15, 1845, m. John Truscott; Clara b. Dec. 28, 1847, m. James Cullimore. Family home Lindon, Utah
  High priest. Machinist and engineer; farmer. Died at Lindon." (Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah; Frank Esshom). 
  He died 9 March 1886, at his home in Lindon, and was buried in the Pleasant Grove Cemetery. Harriet lived two more years, and died in Mt. Pleasant on 13 September 1888. She was buried in the Pleasant Grove Cemetery with her husband.